Cycle Chic stresses utility cycling and above all else, looking good doing it.
And what good would a Movement be without a manifesto? Ladies and gentlemen, I present the Copenhagen Cycle Chic Manifesto.
– I choose to cycle chic and, at every opportunity, I will choose Style over Speed.
– I embrace my responsibility to contribute visually to a more aesthetically pleasing urban landscape.
– I am aware that my mere prescence in said urban landscape will inspire others without me being labelled as a ‘bicycle activist’.
– I will ride with grace, elegance and dignity.
– I will refrain from wearing and owning any form of ‘cycle wear’. The only exception being a bicycle helmet – if I choose to exercise my freedom of personal choice and wear one.
– I will choose a bicycle that reflects my personality and style.
– I will, however, regard my bicycle as transport and as a mere supplement to my own personal style. Allowing my bike to upstage me is unacceptable.
– I will endeavour to ensure that the total value of my clothes always exceeds that of my bicycle.
– I will accessorize in accordance with the standards of a bicycle culture and acquire, where possible, a chain guard, kickstand, skirt guard, fenders, bell and basket.
– I will respect the traffic laws.