Law of Physics

People that are anti-bicycle are always talking about the Law of Physics being on the automobile’s side.

They seldom mention the Law of Physics being against the automobile, such as auto versus truck.  I’ve never seen a car and a truck tangle with the car winning, have you?

So when the car driver says a bicycle shouldn’t be in the middle of the road because the bike is on the losing side of the physics argument, perhaps all cars in the middle of the road  should be banned from the road as well?

ACTUALLY, if you click on the website link, you’ll see who would actually win if traffic were truly a battle of might rather than a cooperative endeavor. Seen along my commute route.

Come to think of it, a bike would make a more difficult target so maybe it’d just be bikes and vehicles like this.

😉

• Eric

That’s a good link, but I don’t think it could get a State tag. Maybe a Federal one.

What could get a State tag would be a concrete truck. One of those babies would give your veh–ick–le a good thrashing.

2. Kevin Love
    Kevin Love says:

And how about auto vs. train? It never ceases to amaze me when I read a newspaper story about some insanely stupid person who tried to drive around the railway gate. Usually the car is nothing but a tangled pile of metal, and the train is just fine.

I was once on a train where that happened, the overnight sleeper from New York to Chicago. I got on the sleeper car at Buffalo and some moron tried to “beat the train” near Toledo. It didn’t even wake me up. Those on the train who were awake told me that they didn’t even feel a bump. The train just came to an unscheduled stop, then started backing up.

Needless to say, human evolution progressed by weeding this stupid person out of the gene pool. He was driving a pick-up truck that was an unrecognizable pile of scrap metal after being hit by a train going at 135 km/hr.

I can attest that the crossing was well-marked, the lights were flashing, the bells were ringing and the gate was down.

Eric,
    Don’t pick on concrete trucks (NEW link). I daily encounter several concrete truckers on my route that come from “Charley’s Concrete” – they are ALL proper and polite drivers. Real pros. They even treat the “little cars” nicely. Charley is located about a block from the heavy metal previously noted. I don’t work for Charley, but if I needed a bunch of concrete poured, he’d be at the top of my list.

4. danc
    danc says:

I’ve never seen a certain Mr/Ms Physics drive a car. Laws of Physics expert seem to use 2K pounds of steel as trump card over the Rules of the Road or social norm that a road user must due care.

The laws-of-physics argument is just another way motorists say “I’m selfish and don’t want to be inconvenienced by having to pay attention to the roadway or slow down behind you for a few seconds.”

What’s sad is when bicyclists buy into it an hurl it at assertive bicycle drivers.

Based on the data from my metro area 2003/2004 cyclist crash study, less than 2% of cyclist/motorist crashes resulted in a fatality. NHTSA shows comparable numbers.

By comparison, from a NHTSA report, 77% of the fatalities involving large trucks are of automobile passengers. Over 6% of truck-related passenger car injuries are fatalities.

There were more than 3,700 passenger car deaths from large truck crashes in 2004 compared to 727 cyclist deaths.

So yeah, it’s a silly argument.

What’s more — none of the 17 cyclist fatalities in the metro Orlando 2003/04 study involved a legally-operating roadway cyclist.

8. ToddBS
    ToddBS says:

Several days late here, but…

I actually used that very argument several months back with a coworker who was trying to tell me how dangerous vehicular cycling is.

I said, “by your logic then, only tractor-trailers should be allowed on the road since you in your Miata is no match for them”.