Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 04:07:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: REMINDER: If you want to join the forum, please email me after you register. IMPORTANT! If I do not receive an email from you, your registration will be deleted with the barrage of spammers. With several spammers per hour trying to get on our forum, I don't have time to determine who is legit.

+  Central Florida Commuter Forum
|-+  CommuteOrlando
| |-+  Cycling Gear
| | |-+  Hemlet-mounted rearview mirror
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hemlet-mounted rearview mirror  (Read 2254 times)
NE2

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:58:20 PM »

I just got a cheap mirror and I found that however I mount it, I have to turn my head a bit to the left to see anything behind me (since it won't bend far enough from the helmet). Is this normal, or am I mounting it incorrectly?
drummergeek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:29:05 AM »

I think that's pretty normal.  Also depends on the bike you ride.  Road or Mountain, because of the way your body is positioned.

My mirror reflective surface is about 4 inches in front of my left eye, and I position it so when I'm riding, I can see the bottom outside arch of my shoulder from the 3 o'clock to the 7 o'clock position on the mirror.  Then when I swivel my head about 3 inches to the left I can see behind me.

I ride a road bike, so the top of my head is kind of pointed forward...

Takes a few weeks to settle on a position that works for you.
Mighk
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »

That doesn't sound normal to me.  Any mirror I've ever had allowed me to see directly back without turning my head.  You should be able to see part of your ear.  Hard to understand what's wrong without a photo.
NE2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »

It was truly a cheap mirror - the bloody thing popped out after a few rides. I'll do without one.

Perhaps part of the problem (with turning my head) was that my glasses don't cover the extreme sides and top of my field of vision.
Mighk
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »

I recommend the Take-a-Look.  Best mirror I've ever owned (and I've been using them since about 1977).
http://www.rei.com/product/752285/bike-peddler-take-a-look-mirror
ed702

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »

I recommend the Take-a-Look.  Best mirror I've ever owned (and I've been using them since about 1977).
http://www.rei.com/product/752285/bike-peddler-take-a-look-mirror

I recently began using one of these. It took a few rides to adjust to but it works very well.  Smiley

Veni, Vidi, Bici
2013 Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc
fred_dot_u

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »

Keri's a user of this mirror:

http://www.safezonemirror.com/

which is rather large, which appeals to me. It's also priced appropriately high, but what price safety and convenience?

caffrey
Keri
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 02:51:12 PM »

I use a take-a-look, also.
The big one is nice for doing rear-facing video, I feel like I can see more without turning.* The take-a-look is less clunky, good for general use and better for front-facing video since it doesn't obscure the rider's face when on camera.

*note: I have a rider behind me who does a head turn and tells me when it is safe to change lanes. A head turn doesn't work well for rear-facing video, but it looks fine on the front-facing video.

"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things."
—Amelia Earhart
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length