Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 04:25:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: REMINDER: If you want to join the forum, please email me after you register. IMPORTANT! If I do not receive an email from you, your registration will be deleted with the barrage of spammers. With several spammers per hour trying to get on our forum, I don't have time to determine who is legit.

+  Central Florida Commuter Forum
|-+  CommuteOrlando
| |-+  Cycling Gear
| | |-+  Video Camera
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Video Camera  (Read 1275 times)
ChrisOtto1014

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:34:41 AM »

With my encounter this morning, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a video camera. Any recommendations? Are there any with immediate playback?

Thanks
caffrey
Keri
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:27:42 AM »

The only one I know that allows you to play back is the POV
http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/01/23/vio-pov/
The screen is really small, though, and the resolution of the video is not good enough to get a license plate.
An HD camera will pick up a license plate number, but I don't know of any that have instant playback.
Brian DeSousa carries a small DVD player that has a built in card reader for playback.

"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things."
—Amelia Earhart
caffrey
Keri
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:40:03 AM »

Chris,

I'm not sure what time you leave work in the afternoon, but Jason and Kitzzy are leading the UCF bike bus and have both of my cameras if you want to check them out.

http://commuteorlando.com/bikebus/2010/08/20/ucf-to-downtown/

"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things."
—Amelia Earhart
fred_dot_u

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:38:03 PM »

Chris, I've got a couple HD video cameras and even on top quality setting, I can't get license numbers. I carry a small digital audio recorder attached to the velmobile to record that information. On the camera side, I've been happy with the quality of the ContourHD line, although mine are 720p models and they now have a 1080p, which may have the necessary resolution to get plate numbers.  As Keri noted, playback is pretty challenging, although I've considered adding a monitor to the payload I now carry on my commutes. There are smartphones that take the micro SDHC cards, aren't there?

I also picked up some "spycams" that are amazingly compact and provide quite good quality video as well. I had intended to wear one into the local PD for my visit, in case things got stupid, but it went well and I had forgotten the camera anyway. It's called the HD Scorpion Police Security Camera and is barely larger than a flash drive. I lost one of mine and found it again, in my bundle of flash drives, that's how tiny it is. I see the site: http://www.stuntcams.com/shop/ has many different products from which to choose.

I also carry a Canon point-and-shoot for those moments when I have that much more time to yank it out, turn it on, hit the shutter button and get a truly high resolution photograph. One point two second boot time means no waiting for the first photo.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length